Sanjay Leela Bhansali’s world of cinema is visually grand, dramatically humane and literally heart-breaking. Bajirao Mastani is a project that the director had been keen on making since more than 15 years. The love and the long wait has only matured the project.
The movie starts with a disclaimer that should just stop all the protests against it. It doesn’t claim to be historically accurate, it even declares the creative freedom taken to change the incidents from the book as well, that it is based on.
The story is of the Maratha warrior Peshwa Bajirao Bhallal, who with his might and skills is on a winning spree. Circumstances take him to Bundelkhand where he meets Princess Mastani who is completely impressed by his charm and bravery. He also feels the attraction but returns. Now Mastani arrives in Pune but Peshwa is already married to Kashibai.
What follows is a scheming political game played around the Peshwa and Mastani’s love story. The Peshwa’s mother doesn’t approve of the relationship and so does the Pandits and Peshwa’s sub ordinates. Also there is Kashibai who is heartbroken but still loves Rao.
- The exquisite love story of Bajirao and Mastani told by the only one who can actually show case these amazing characters, Sanjay Leela Bhansali.
- The immensely grand presentation with meticulously designed detailed sets, costumes, jewelry and lights.
- The actors who have surrendered themselves to these iconic characters and who make you believe in them. Whether its Ranveer Singh’s war cry as Peshwa or his guilty tears in front of her wife, whether its Priyanka’s bubbly Kashibai who is head over heels in love with her husband or her confrontation of the other woman in his life, whether it’s Deepika’s sword wielding princess Mastani or the madly in love woman who has left every bit of luxury, each of these actor shine in their part and incredibly so.
- The diligently prepared and crafted music that will take you back in the historical era.
- The punching dialogues that will be remembered long after the film is gone.
- Hardly any but some may consider the stretched time, however I found it necessary to tell this complex human love story.
For the big screen movie-lovers it is a gem of a film. A subject that the maker has nurtured for more than fifteen years, shows how much love and effort goes into it. The patience the film maker has shown towards this creation deserves every bit of money you pay for watching it and you will definitely receive a lot more in return.